Questions for "The Civlizing of Genie":
- Explain the statement “Genie is living proof of human resiliency.”
- Although much of Genie’s behavior was like that of a wild animal, Maya Pines writes “Genie was decidedly human.” What are some of the indications of Genie’s humanity?
- Explain how Genie’s language development fits into the theories of Lenneberg, Chomsky and Skinner.
- According to this text, what is the strongest evidence supporting the theory of a “critical period” for language acquisition?
- Was Genie’s early language deprivation the ONLY factor that contributed to her abnormal language development? Explain what other factor(s) might have been involved.